quinta-feira, dezembro 28, 2006

Christmas Supper

Ok, I finally got my lazy ass to post the x-mas dinner special. This year's special nite was hosted at grandma Dora, nice family treats. I didn't get to cook everything I wanted cos' let me tell you sth about cooking veg food at the same time with dead seafood all over the place, it's hard! So, there you go.





Tofu Supper. I got this portuguese recipe from this old e-book I own. Firstly, you cook the small potatoes and onions in the oven for about an hour, give a light punch to each potatoe (after it cooled, important detail) and set them on the bottom of a glass bowl, chop the cooked onions, sprinkle fresh parsley, olive oil, chopped black olives, salt and cover it up, letting it rest for a few minutes. Then, add a layer of braised cabbage with garlic, and after marinating the tofu for two to three hours with this mix of soy sauce, diced garlic and olive oil, grill the marinated slices and put it on top, sprinkling some chopped walnuts and more fresh parsley. My big uncle loved it, definetely a hit, even tho it got placed around all those dead animals.

Festive Whole Rice. The big star! This saturday I went to this health-food store downtown with my friend Mariah and got all these nasty nuts and colorful raisins so I could make this dreamy rice come true. I used this whole grain rice so it got a bit more nutritious than rice usually is in x-mas suppers. I firstly roasted some peanuts and hazelnuts in hot olive oil, added white and black soaked raisins and chopped green olives. I cooked the rice normally and then combined the two things, always sprinkling fresh parsley.

Cinnamon-Chocolate Nutty Cake. So I enhenced a little bit the Kramer's recipe, reduced the amount of ginger, added cocoa powder to the mixture and used brazil nuts as well. I decided to do the topping aside, so I created this nice smooth topping firstly blending some soft tofu and about 2 tbsp. of organic sugar, then adding some vegan chocolate melted, added a tsp. of apple cider vinegar and that's it. The cake was also a hit, and that topping, oh dear vegan god!

I know, I'm still to do the vegan Rabanadas and the dutch recipe I got from my dear friend Fiona, the notorious Olliebollens (I hope I spelled that correctly). I hope I get enough courage to try those and others for the new year's party.

Have a nice Christmas you lazy folks, peace and love to u all.
Muita paz e muito axé.